Why Australian METS?
The Australian METS sector is a highly innovative industry which produces technologically advanced, globally competitive products and services for mining companies worldwide.
- Australia’s $90 billion METS industry is a global leader in mining innovation and is a significant contributor to the Australian economy.
- The Australian METS sector has potential for growth through exporting, technology development and the creation of news processes, services and products.
Resources and production world rankings 
- Australia has the world's largest reserves of diamonds, gold, iron ore, lead, nickel, zinc and rutile.
- Australia is the world leading producer for bauxite, rutile and ilmenite.
- The second largest producer for gold, iron ore, lead and zinc.
- The third largest producer for antimony, manganese ore.
- The fourth largest producer of silver and nickel.
- The fifth largest producer of black coal, cobalt, and copper.
- Exports $15 billion of goods and services each year and has the capacity to significantly increase.
- Is globally focussed, with more than half (55%) of Australian METS companies export products, services or technology. 
- Key export regions include South East Asia (1); South (2) and North America (3). 
- Top export markets include Indonesia (1); New Zealand (2); the United States (3); Chile (4); Papua New Guinea (5); and Canada (6). 
- Strengths in minerals and mining.
- A world leader in environmental management, including mine site closure and rehabilitation. 
- Pioneered and developed innovative mine safety solutions. 
- The Australian METS sector is comprised of approximately 2,500 companies, of which 84% are Australian-owned.
- The sector is diverse and more than three-quarters of companies are small to medium enterprises.
- Manufacturing, equipment, supplies, and chemical companies account for 41% of companies; 22% are EPCM/Engineering construction companies, and 18% account for contract mining companies.
- Over 60% of METS companies also supply to the oil and gas industry 
- More than three-quarters of Australian METS invest in R&D. 
- World leader in mining software and supplies 60% of the world’s mining software is developed in Australia. 
- Innovation driven by depleted resources and lower commodity prices.
- Government supportive of an innovative and entrepreneurial culture.
- Employs 386,000 highly skilled manufacturing, technology, digital and research people – almost twice the number of people as the mining industry.
- Offers high-value jobs for the future.
 Geoscience Australia, Australia’s Identified Mineral Resources 2014
 Austmine, 2013 Australian Mining Equipment, Technology and Services (METS) sector benchmarking survey
 Austmine, Australian Mining Equipment, Technology and Services (METS) National Survey | August 2015